With an increase in internet use, it is important now more than ever to secure your digital information. We have compiled 5 cyber security resources that will help ensure your business and its employees are safe on the internet.
It is common for most people to use the same password for many sites, or passwords that are easy to guess. Mostly because it is difficult to remember multiple different sets of login information. Password managers help safely store this information and keep your passwords strong by helping generate long, randomized passwords that make it nearly impossible for hackers to guess.
- LastPass is a password manager for all browsers that secures your passwords in the cloud. By using a strong encryption algorithm, local-only encryption, and multifactor authentication, LastPass will provide you with effortless security.
- 1Password is another example of a password manager. This software alerts you to security breaches, protects you from phishing, and only works in verified browsers. 1Password offers a convenient way for your safety and privacy to be stored.
- Bitwarden is very similar to the other software. This password manager can be used on any device, from anywhere in the world. You have the option to use a cloud-based host or self-host depending on how much control you want to have.
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
VPNs are used to protect your internet usage from Internet Service Providers (ISPs). To do this, you can create a private network from a public network that hides your internet protocol (IP) and makes all of your online actions untraceable. As a result, this will increase your cybersecurity and all personal information.
- ProtonVPN is a service that helps protect you digitally. Using strong encryption, forward secrecy, strong protocols, and full disk encryption, ProtonVPN ensures that an attacker cannot eavesdrop on your connection.
- NordVPN is another software that “creates an encrypted tunnel for your data, protects your online identity by hiding your IP address, and allows you to use public Wi-Fi hotspots safely.” NordVPN can be used on any device to protect your network.
- ExpressVPN helps hide your IP address in a safe, secure, and speedy way. Divided into three types, commercial, corporate, and self, there are unique ways to implement this software into your daily life.
Multi-Factor Authorization is a way to add an additional layer of security to your digital accounts. To log in to your account, the system requires you to authorize the login from another device. Essentially, you must prove it is you through more than just a username and password.
- Two Factor Authorization (2FA) “provides a higher level of security than authentication methods that rely on only one authentication factor (single-factor authentication), where the user provides only one factor (usually a password or PIN).” For companies, adopting this authorization is becoming essential. Not only can it improve security, but it can also help reduce IT costs.
Beyond blocking advertisements, an ad blocker can protect you from hosting malware or phishing scams. By using this software, potential dangerous websites are blocked to prevent you from possible threats. Overall, it will help improve your security and control. Adding an add blocker to your list of cyber security resources will be extremely beneficial to your daily workflow.
- uBlock Origin is an ad blocker and wide-spectrum content blocker with CPU and memory efficiency as a primary feature. The software can be used on nearly any browser to neutralize privacy invasion.
- AdBlock Plus gives you the option to hide all ads, or allow acceptable ads, while still keeping you safe. This allows you to customize what you see.
- Ghostery is another extension that eliminates the risk of trackers and increases the control you have on websites.
A firewall creates a barrier between your internal and external traffic to block data that does not meet your set security. This software guards your website’s entry point and only lets verified individuals enter.
- McAfee offers a privacy plan that ensures all devices are secured through the use of a firewall.
Is your device known for viruses and spyware? Are you vulnerable to cyber-attacks? It is important to put all of the resources in place, and it is equally important to check that they are working. The National Cyber Security Alliance offers free online security checkups and tools to constantly ensure you or your organization is safe. Sangwa Solutions can help you have a complete list of cyber security resources.
More on cyber security here.